Friday, October 23, 2009

Things I like to learn

I've decided it would be fun to learn something regional as far as food is concerned in each state we visit. If it's all natural the better. I try to avoid as much processed food with all those toxic chemicals added as possible.

In Kentucky it was the bourbon they produce and especially the American Honey Bourbon. I know alcohol is toxic, but all they add to bourbon is water.

In Tennessee I have discovered a wild grape. They are called scuppermong or muscedine. These grapes are native to southeastern US. Bruce and I had gone to a Music and Molasses Festival at the Tennessee Agricultural Museum, where I had a chance to try some. They are much bigger than the grapes we get in the grocery store. The skins are very tough but the meat is so sweet.

At the festival I also learned about sorhgum syrup. In some regions people call it " sorhgum molasses" but molasses refers to a sweetener made from sugarcane or sugar beet cane production not sorghum cane. It's used on biscuits in the morning.

2 comments:

  1. Cool stuff.... It's always easier to learn something that tastes good too, right ? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice, Nancy...Next time you're in town maybe you will have a tasting of all of the regional foods you learn. I'll be the ice cream scooper lady.

    ReplyDelete